5 Quick and Easy Ways to Save Money
As a stay at home mom, I feel it is part of my job to continually be looking for ways to economize and save money. To make this realistic, I found it helpful to start by attempting one thing at a time. Perfecting my homemade bread took time and if I had been trying to learn how to make yogurt or can at the same time, I doubt I would have stuck with anything very long.
- Make your own bread– I have been using this recipe for almost 2 years now and over time have altered it to include ultragrain flour for a fiber and whole grain boost, using Eagle Mills Ultra grain unbleached all purpose flour. It is fantastic even after the loaf has been frozen. If you have a good stand mixer, it is even easier and requires no kneading!
- Make your own Yogurt-our three year old inhales yogurt and can easily go through 2 quarts a week himself. We received this model from my wonderful mother in law for Christmas and the yogurt it has produced has been thick and creamy.
- Make your own laundry detergent-with a new baby in cloth diapers and a toddler who is potty training, the washer is pretty much constantly going. Good detergent is SO expensive, so I found this really simple laundry detergent recipe
- Use cloth diapers-we use the unbleached Indian cotton prefolds with the rumparooz one size fits all covers.
- Can and/or Freeze fresh produce from your garden or local market-I have been blessed with a wonderful neighbor who taught me how to can and a mother who is just a phone call away for quick questions. This book is a great introduction to a variety of techniques for those who are just beginning or in need of brushing up some rusty skills.